Sunday, November 17, 2013

Respect of Marriage and the Family

This has been something ongoing for a while now, and it has me a bit disgruntled.

It seems as though some of my married friends have an attitude that they are better, because they have not gone through the same financial and employment struggles that my husband and I have experienced, and they do not have children yet.

It also seems as though some of our single friends think that they are better off because they do not have the same responsibilities of a spouse and parent, and don't really intend to at any point in their lifetime. Or, at least, not having to deal with an infant/toddler.

Why this sudden slip in mentality from those who proclaim to be Christians? There is nothing wrong with being a parent, and having the responsibilities that come with it. I love be a wife and mother! Are there days which are very long and difficult, especially working outside of the home? Absolutely! But would I trade those experiences in order to be going about my life only for my own purpose? No.My husband and I have faced many trials since moving here just over two years ago, and we will continue to have different struggles, because life is not meant to be easy. But the struggles and trials we experience are nothing compared to the joy of enduring them together, and seeing our little girl grow up. This little girl...she is amazing. She loves to dance when there is music, sing in the car, "read along" with her books, and just be a happy girl...even when teething!

I may not be able to pick up and go at the drop of a hat, and I do discuss plans with my husband before making arrangements, but that does not mean that someone should pity my life choices. I want to spend time with my little family after a long day/week of work. It is not a chore for me to snuggle with my daughter, and have dinner with my husband. It is a JOY! I discuss plans with my husband before making arrangements, not because he is over-controlling, but because we are ONE. Maybe he had a surprise planned. I certainly would not want to ruin something like that over the selfishness of staying out all night. And maybe I'm just too tired to do something after work.

The attitude that has been experienced, is almost as though individuals are trying to make me feel guilt over my life choices. As my pastor has said many times lately during his sermon series on grace, "it's not the church's job to make you feel guilty."

How dare someone try to make me feel guilt because we have different life choices and dreams, and so help me if they try to say falsehoods against my family. I love my family, and will do anything for them. If someone is going to be insulting and disrespectful, they can take that attitude somewhere else, because I have enough drama without their contributions.

No comments:

Post a Comment